Texas Jalapeno Beef StewFrom chefmeow 8 years ago
- 6 shallots peeled shopping list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 5 tablespoons butter unsalted shopping list
- 1 pound beef chuck cut into 1-inch squares shopping list
- 1/3 cups flour shopping list
- 4 jalapeno peppers stemmed and seeded shopping list
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces shopping list
- 1 large potato peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces shopping list
- 1/2 red onion peeled and diced shopping list
- 1 cup port wine shopping list
- 2 cups beef stock shopping list
- 1 tablespoon dried sage leaves shopping list
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves shopping list
- kosher salt to taste shopping list
- Freshly ground pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Toss shallots with olive oil.
- Place in a small pan and roast in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Heat butter in a large deep saucepan over medium heat.
- Coat the beef in flour to coat then place in hot butter and increase the heat.
- Sauté beef cubes on all sides for 10 minutes.
- Do not crowd the meat or it will steam rather than brown.
- Remove pan from heat then transfer to a bowl and cover it loosely with foil to keep warm and set aside.
- Mince jalapenos.
- Place the pan back over medium heat and in the remaining butter sauté peppers, carrots, potato and onion tossing to prevent burning until onions turn translucent.
- Add the wine, stock, sage and oregano gently stirring on the bottom of the pan to release any solidified pan juices.
- Cook stew over low heat with the lid slightly ajar for 40 minutes.
- Add reserved shallots and beef then stir to combine and continue cooking for another 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper
The Cookchefmeow Garland, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!