Tortilla Black Bean CasseroleFrom darmorrow 7 years ago
- 2 cups of onions, chopped coarsley shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups of green peppers, chopped coarsley shopping list
- 1 large can of tomatoes (796 mL) or two depending on your tastes shopping list
- 3/4 cup of picante sauce - I use Old El Pasa as it doesn't have any added fat shopping list
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 tbsp ground cumin shopping list
- 2 large cans of black beans, rinsed to get rid of the excess salt shopping list
- 12 6 inch corn tortillas. I use whatever has the most fiber. shopping list
- 1 cup of finely shredded non fat mozarella cheese, I sometimes substitute non fat cottage cheese instead. I know - but it gets stringy when it's hot and tastes really good. shopping list
How to make it
- In a large frying pan combine onions, and garlic. Fry till translucent.
- Add the cumin and give it a good stir.
- Add the UNDRAINED tomatoes and picante sauce. Stir well
- Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the well drained and rinsed beans.
- In a 9"x13"x2" baking dish, spread 1/3 of the bean mixture over the bottom.
- Top with half the tortillas, overlapping if necessary.
- Top with half the grated cheese or half the cottage cheese.
- Repeat ending with the cheese.
- Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes or until heated throughout.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- If desired, top with tomato slices, shredded lettuce, green onion or onion. Cut into squares and serve.