Carmelized CabbageFrom sewnfool 8 years ago
- Medium cabbage, I use the lightest colored ones. The purple one don't take to this to well. Core the bottom of the cabbage of the hard stem. Chop in half, then slice each half in 1/2 inch strips. shopping list
- Cut each strip in half. shopping list
- one pound of butter. shopping list
- one cup small carrots, shopping list
- half a cup of broccoli florets, shopping list
- garlic shopping list
- sea salt shopping list
- seasoned pepper shopping list
How to make it
- In a large deep skillet, melt the butter gently. When ready just add the cabbage to the pan. Cover and simmer on low to medium heat.
- Put the carrots and the broccoli florets into a microwavable bowl,cover with water and heat until tender.
- When the carrots and broccoli are ready pour off the water into the sink, being careful not to scald yourself like I have.
- Add these to the cabbage.
- sprinkle with sea salt about 1/2 a teaspoon and sprinkle generously with the seasoned pepper.
- With a large spatula turn the cabbage in the pan well. Replace the lid and set your timer for 5 min. intervals for the nest 30- 45 min. At medium heat. You will have to turn this that frequently or the cabbage will burn instead of carmalizing.
- I put a stool by the stove and relax with a cup of coffee through this and read the paper.
- When the cabbage is becoming transparent a bit, It will start to get brown. This is what you want. When You have a really nice browning on it turn off the heat, put the pan aside to cool a minute. Then its done. You can package this in your vacuum sealer when cool and freeze it for about a month. It keeps a nice flavor that long and reheat well in the microwave.