Hot and Sour SoupFrom waterlily 9 years ago
- 1 oz dried black mushroom (from the Asian market) shopping list
- 1-2 cakes of tofu (I like extra firm) shopping list
- 2 eggs, beaten shopping list
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch dissolved in 1/3 cup water shopping list
- 8 cups stock or water shopping list
- 2 Tbs dry sherry or chinese rice wine (optional) shopping list
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar shopping list
- 1 Tbs tamari shopping list
- ½ tsp. black pepper shopping list
- 1 Tbsp - 1/4 c hot chili oil, to taste shopping list
- sesame oil shopping list
- Chopped green onions shopping list
How to make it
- Pour 2 cups of boiling water over the mushrooms and let stand for 25 minutes.Save the soaking water/stock!
- Cut the mushrooms and tofu into thin slivers.
- Combine the mushroom-soaking liquid and the rest of the stock/water and bring to a boil.
- Add mushrooms and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add tofu and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the wine, vinegar, tamari, hot chili oil, and pepper.
- Stir in the cornstarch paste and bring to a gentle boil.
- Drizzle in the beaten egg as the soup quietly boils.
- Add salt to taste
- Serve topped with green onions and little drizzles of sesame oil.