Tostones Fried PlantainsFrom vainwi 5 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat your frying oil to 300 (f) degrees.
- Peel the plantains. The easiest way I've found to do this is to, first, cut off both ends. Slice the skins from one end to the other. If they're ripe enough, the skins will peel off at this point. If not, use your knife to slice just under the surface of the skin, all the way around.
- Cut the plantains into 2" chunks.
- Mix salt with water in large bowl, set aside.
- When your oil is up to temperature, fry the plantain chunks for a couple of minutes until they're getting soft; remove from oil and drain on paper towels (I put a layer of paper towels on a paper bag to save on towel use).
- When they're cool enough to handle, smash the plantain chunks with the bottom of a glass to about 1/2" thick, then place into salt water.
- Soak the smashed plantains in salt water for about 10 minutes (more is fine).
- Drain and pat dry.
- Increase oil temperature to 375. Deep fry tostones in hot oil until golden brown and crispy. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels (backed with paper bag, if desired). Salt immediately.
- Serve immediately with Cuban-Inspired Garlic Sauce.
The Cookvainwi Milwaukee, WI
- Not added to any groups yet!