Crazy Cream of Carrot Soup Lactose-freeFrom divaliscious 9 years ago
- 1 pound carrots, grated skins off and cut into smaller cubes shopping list
- 4 cups water shopping list
- 2 tablespoons of "better than bullion" - chicken (Use vegetable flavor to keep it vegetarian) - and if you have to, use 2 bullion cubed instead. shopping list
- 1 medium onion - diced shopping list
- 2 stalks celery, rinsed and diced shopping list
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 3 gloves fresh garlic - minced shopping list
- 2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground cracked pepper shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon mace shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional) shopping list
- \2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- Dollop of sour cream on top of soup when plating (optional) shopping list
- Sliced scallions on top of soup when plating (optional) shopping list
- Equipment Needed: Deep skillet/Soup Pot with lid, Blender, Large bowl to temporarily keep blended soup in prior to transferring back into soup pot, and sieve if needed for finer textured soup. shopping list
How to make it
- In deep skillet, start with medium heat and pour olive oil in, add onions and celery, sweat them for 10 minutes.
- Add seasonings: salt, pepper(s), nutmeg, mace and cinnamon.
- Add garlic and carrots and let cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add water, and chicken paste (the "Better than Bullion product" - see comments below for locations where to purchase - a must have for all kitchens) or bullion cubes.
- Let come to a boil, then place on simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Soup's almost done, let it cool down prior to blending it to avoid splattering and burning yourself.
- Take about a cup of the cooked mixture at a time along with some of the liquid and place into blender, turn blender on with top loose, blend mixture till creamy and smooth.
- Pour this now into bowl and continue with blending up the rest of the cooked mixture.
- Once done, if you wish a finer textured soup, pass through sieve. Though I do not mind a few little pieces of carrots here and there.
- Put back into soup pot, taste-test soup, add salt or pepper if you think it needs it, etc, even add a little more water if you think it's too thick.
- Melt the two tablespoons butter in soup and call your troops to the table.
- To serve, place in bowls and sprinkle a little of the nutmeg on top and you are ready to go!
- A dollop of sour cream is awesome as well (I know - no longer lactose free - but hey, I had to try!)
The Cookdivaliscious Dutchess County, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!