Matzo BabkaFrom crainny 5 years ago
How to make it
- Break matzo into coarse pieces, about 1/2 to 1 inch big
- Cover with cold water and let soak for 1 minute
- Drain the water and give matzo a good squeeze
- Beat the eggs, add salt and pepper to taste and mix them with matzo pieces, stir well, letting eggs penetrate the matzo
- Heat cooking oil in a thick bottom skillet
- Fold the matzo mix out on the skillet and spread evenly
- Reduce heat to medium and fry on one side for about 4-5 minutes or until pleasantly brown
- Cover your skillet with either lid that has no prominent rim, or a large plate that fits over the skillet
- Turn the babka (with the skillet) over onto the lid and carefully let it slide back into the skillet - raw side down
- Don't get discouraged if babka breaks on your first try. Just pat it right back together and smooth over with the watered spatula.
- Fry for another 5 minutes on other side.
- If you like melted cheese, right before removing from heat, sprinkle some grated or crumbled cheese on your babka and cover with the lid for a minute or so.
- Cut like pizza into 6-8 slices. Serve hot
- Try with:
- bologna, salami (I know, total blasphemy, but oh, yum), prosciutto, all sorts of cheeses, goat cheese, feta cheese, garlicky spreads, cream cheese, smoked salmon, honey, jelly or fruit preserves, plain organic butter, sliced cucumber+feta, sliced daikon (white radish)+mayo... let your imagination flow