Picnic Oven-Fried ChickenFrom sunrae 8 years ago
- 1/2 cup buttermilk shopping list
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco shopping list
- 2 1/2-3 pounds chicken legs, skin removed, trimmed and cut into thighs and drumsticks shopping list
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour shopping list
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste shopping list
- Freshly ground pepper to taste shopping list
- olive oil cooking spray shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Whisk buttermilk, mustard, garlic and hot sauce in a shallow glass dish until well blended. Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1/2 hour or for up to 8 hours.
- 2. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set a wire rack on the baking sheet and coat it with cooking spray.
- 3. Whisk flour, sesame seeds, paprika, thyme, baking powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Place the flour mixture in a paper bag or large sealable plastic bag. Shaking off excess marinade, place one or two pieces of chicken at a time in the bag and shake to coat. Shake off excess flour and place chicken on the prepared rack. (Discard any leftover flour mixture and marinade.) Spray chicken pieces with cooking spray.
- 4. Bake the chicken until golden brown and no longer pink in the center, 40 to 50 minutes.
- NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 227 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 130 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrate; 34 g protein; 1 g fiber; 262 mg sodium; 423 mg potassium.
- Analysis note: A comparable serving of breast meat has 209 calories and 1 gram saturated fat.
- Nutrition bonus: Potassium (21% daily value).
- MAKE AHEAD TIP: The chicken can be marinated for up to 8 hours.