Green Tomato PicklesFrom coffeebean53 9 years ago
- 4 pounds small green tomatoes shopping list
- 4 large onions, sliced; or pearl onions - 4 or 5 to each jar shopping list
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper shopping list
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves for each pint of pickles shopping list
- 8 cups white vinegar shopping list
- 5 cups granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup mustard seed shopping list
- 1 tablespoon celery seed shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground tumeric shopping list
How to make it
- Wash and inspect tomatoes. Pare any minor blemishes; discard any tomato with more than minor skin blemishes.
- Slice tomatoes 1/4-inch thick if using large tomatoes, or wash and core small round tomatoes.
- Place garlic and peppers equally into steriliezed pint jars (if using sliced tomatoes, combine with peppers before packing into jars); pack tomatoes.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add to packed jars, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Release any trapped air bubbles.
- Process in boiling water bath - time appropriate for your altitude. Yield approximately 8 pints.