Mamas 5 minute frostingFrom divaliscious 6 years ago
- 2 egg whites at room temperature (eggs separate easier when cold, make the cake with the egg yolks or the lemon filling, then set aside whites for frosting). shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups super fine white sugar (super fine is secret ingredient) shopping list
- 5 tablespoons water shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (Mom's second secret ingredient and a must addition for her coconut cake) shopping list
- ****Equipment Needed: shopping list
- Hand mixer, double boiler (use the deeper of the two bowls if your cooking set came with two sizes), naked cake seeking to be covered and smothered in frosting, good choices? Choose any sort of chocolate, lemon chiffon, and of course white layered cake, etc. shopping list
How to make it
- Start with setting up your doubler boiler, adding enough water in the "sauce pan" but not too much so that it does not "touch" the bottom of your double boiler bowl that sits on top. Let come to a full riping boil.
- Place bowl that will sit on top of boiling water over pan.
- Into this bowl, add water, salt, sugar, corn syrup and unbeaten egg whites
- Blend with hand mixer first for one minute till ingredients are incorporated.
- Then continue blending with your hand mixer on high (watch out for splatterings) for five minutes.
- Image people used to do this with one of those old-fashioned egg beaters you used manually? WOW! - Hence the original 7 minutes needed.
- After five minutes, check out frosting with fingers, make sure sugar is dissolved while trying to make a "snap your fingers motion". If you feel no more sugar, you should be done.
- Remove bowl from heat and add your flavorings and extracts.
- Continue mixing (off of heat) only until thick enough to spread.
- Grab that naked cake of yours, and put a huge dollop (and I mean almost half in not more) of frosting on top of cake first and spread.
- Then spread down to the sides, this help avoid loose crumbs getting into frosting.
- Frosting should be stiff to form beautiful peeks. You can use a fork and/or knife to make pretty sweeping up motions for spiking frosting that you see in most magazines.
- Cover with shredded coconut for extra flair - want it ready for valentine's day - you can color coconut with just a few drops of red food coloring, and stir till pink, then place up on cake. Yum!!!
- Picture shown used a piping bag for an extra fancy look on cupcakes.
The Cookdivaliscious Dutchess County, NY
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!