Bayou Fish EtouffeeFrom betty_boop 6 years ago
- 4 lbs of fish shopping list
- We used CatFish , Blue Catfish, Spotted Catfish(not sure of any other kind of fish would work for this dish never have tried it....) shopping list
- 3 med onions shopping list
- 2 tbsp of Hog lard shopping list
- 4-6 cloves of garlic shopping list
- 1 cup green onions shopping list
- 1/2 cup parsley shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 1tbsp of pepper (red, black white) shopping list
- 1 pot of cooked rice (about 4 cups) shopping list
How to make it
- Now get a 6-8 qt. pot (do not use a black cast iron ...)
- Place on stove top with a med heat/low
- add:mix together : chopped onions, garlic chopped,parsley, salt , pepper set aside in a bowl.
- now: put hog lard in your pot let it melt (using hog lard gives it the bayou flavor )
- once it has melted
- some of your fish
- then a layer of mixture (onions and pepper, garlic,seasoning)
- Then another layer of fish
- then another layer of mixture
- keep this up ...until you run out of fish or mixture.
- place a lid on the pot and let cook ..if heat is too high turn down.
- Do Not put water into this dish at this time.
- the reason for this the fish will cook out water from it's self.
- DO NOT STIR ..TWIST THE POT FROM LEFT TO RIGHT OR RIGHT TO LEFT TO KEEP IT FROM STICKING...
- let cook for about 40 minutes unless you see that it is begining to start falling apart..then your fish is ready.
- If you do not have enough gravey ..
- You may add :
- Now warm water with gravey thickner like flour...
- just pour alittle at a time and twist pot from left to right or right to left not stirring..
- until you have enough for the family to have on their rice.
- This fish stew / gravey is suppose to look clear ..My grandmother didn't always have on hand tomato sauce...
- this is how she did it....
The Cookbetty_boop Sulphur, LA
The Rating1 people
- Not added to any groups yet!