Black Bean Chorizo ChiliFrom princesa9580 8 years ago
- 1 pound chorizo, cut into bite size cubes shopping list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, seeded and chopped shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained shopping list
- 2 14 1/2 ounce cans diced tomatoes with hot peppers, undrained shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth or 12 ounces dark beer shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chili powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper or dried red pepper flakes shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper or to taste shopping list
- garnishes: sour cream, chopped cilantro, sliced green onions shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onion, green pepper and chorizo.
- Cook until sausage is done, stirring to crumble. Drain well. Return chorizo mixture to pan. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- If you like a thicker chili, mash some of the black beans before adding the beans to the meat mixture. Ladle into soup bowls and add toppings of choice.