Nanas Simple Tomato Fish CurryFrom uk2nyc 9 years ago
- 2 medium sized Pomfret ( Its a Indian fish that you get mainly in the Arabian sea, or in china town in NYC. your local indian store might have this frozen. Thats what i have to buy here in Milan. any other firm fleshed white fish will do) shopping list
- 6 large tomatoes shopping list
- 1 tbs cumin seeds shopping list
- 1/4 tbs of Tumeric shopping list
- 1 small onion shopping list
- 2 cloves of garlic shopping list
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger shopping list
- 1 tsp of mustard seeds shopping list
- 4 curry leaves shopping list
- 2 marble sized tamarind balls ( Tart or sweet, depends on what you like, i use tart) shopping list
- 1 tbs of veg oil shopping list
- 3 tbs of finely chopped fresh cilantro shopping list
How to make it
- Put your tamarind balls in 1/4 cup of warm water and set aside
- Clean your fish and cut it into 3- 4 inch pieces
- In a pot heat your oil and thrown in your mustard seeds and curry leaves
- When it starts popping add your cumin seeds and stir for 20 seconds
- Add your finely chopped onion and garlic ginger paste
- Cook for about 4 mins until your onions are opaque
- Mash the tamarind balls into the water and add to your pot
- Add your diced fresh tomatoes, Tumeric powder and cover and boil/ cook for about 8 mins until the tomatoes have wilted and the juices are out.
- It should be a nice thick curry sauce
- Gently add your fish pieces to the sauce, so that the sauce covers them
- Do not cover or stir. If you have the urge to stir the pot, Gently shake it from side to side.
- Let it cook for about 6 mins on medium heat
- Add your chopped cilantro, and gently shake the pot , cook for another min or so
- Serve with hot basmati rice.
- * ill add a photo when i make it next week.