Chili Meatball Stew with cornmeal dumplingsFrom crossfire 6 years ago
- 1 pound lean ground beef shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper shopping list
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs shopping list
- 1/4 cup skim milk shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 4 beef flavor bouillon shopping list
- 1 tsp chili powder shopping list
- oil shopping list
- 2 tbsp flour shopping list
- 3 cups water shopping list
- 1 (16 oz) can stewed tomatoes, undrained shopping list
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, undrained shopping list
- cornmeal dumplings: shopping list
- 1 1/2 cup biscuit baking mix shopping list
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal shopping list
- 3/4 cup skim milk shopping list
How to make it
- In medium bowl, mix meat, 1/4 cup onion, green pepper, crumbs, milk, egg, 1 bouillon cube and 1/2 tsp chili powder. Mix well. Shape into 16 meatballs.In dutch oven, brown meatballs; remove. Add oil if needed to make about 2 tbsp drippings; cook remaining onion until tender. Add flour; cook and stir until golden. Add water, tomatoes, meatballs, remaining bouillon and chili powder, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare dumplings. Stir beans into chili mixture; bring to a boil. Drop dumplngs by spoonfuls onto boiling stew. Cook uncovered 10 minutes, cover and cook 10 minutres longer.
- Refrigerate leftovers.