Quiche LorraineFrom ivy 9 years ago
- For dough: shopping list
- 2 Cups of flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon of salt shopping list
- 2/3 Cup + 2 Tablespoon of vegetable shortening shopping list
- 2-3 Tablespoons of cold water shopping list
- For filling: shopping list
- 8 slices of bacon, crumbled shopping list
- 2 1/2 Cups of shredded swiss cheese (I use Emmentaler) shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons of flour shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- 3/4 Cup of Cream shopping list
- 3/4 Cup of Half and Half (half cream half milk - mix it yourself if you can’t find any) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- Dash of pepper shopping list
- 1/4 Cup chopped onions shopping list
How to make it
- For dough:
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Using a fork, squish the shortening into the flour mixture until only pea-sized crumbles are left. Pour in 1 tablespoon of water and mix well, then a second tablespoon. Mix with your hand at this point. Kneed for a while until it has reached a pliable consistency - it should not be flaky or sticky, but somewhere in between. Only add another tablespoon of water (or less) if it is still flaky.
- Shape dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator for 45 minutes so that the dough can become firm.
- Preheat oven to 177°C (350°F).
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove to a towel-lined plate to soak off some of the grease, and once cool, crumble.
- Sauté the onion in the bacon drippings until softened and set aside.
- Place your pie dough in the pie dish so that it’s ready to have everything poured in; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cheese and flour - mix well. In a large bowl, beat the eggs slightly, and then add cream, half and half, onion, salt, pepper, bacon, and cheese mixture.
- Mix well.
- Ladle into the pie crust-lined pie dish.