Boeuf aux Carottes Beef StewFrom mikypiky 8 years ago
- 4 to 4.5 pounds of beef chunks (Palette or Côte Croisée) shopping list
- 2 to 3 marrow beef bones shopping list
- 1 1/2 medium red onion or 3/4 Big red onion shopping list
- 8 to 10 carrots shopping list
- 8 to 10 small red potatoes (grelots) shopping list
- worcestershire sauce shopping list
- salt and ground pepper shopping list
- butter and oil shopping list
- 3 3/4 cups of beef broth (Homemade or Knorr Type) shopping list
- 3/4 to 1 can of italian drained tomatoes shopping list
- 1 1/2 cup of tomato juice shopping list
- Dash of fresh thyme shopping list
- fresh parsley shopping list
- 1 Bay Leaf shopping list
- 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch shopping list
How to make it
- Cut the beef in small chunks (about 3/4 inches diameter)
- Season with a little bit of Worcestershire Sauce (Be careful it might be too strong if you use too much of that sauce) Sprinkle the beef with salt and pepper (does not matter it will cook for 3 hours...)
- Thinly slice the red onion and simmer (level 2 on your stove) covered for 20 to 30 minutes ...Don't let it burn Remove the onions. Cover with aluminium foil in order to recuperate the juice.
- Thinly slice the carrots and brown them.Remove
- Brown the chunks of beef 8 to 10 pieces at the time add up more butter or oil if necessary. Remove. Cover the beef in a bowl with aluminium foil. In order to recuperate the juice.
- Brown the beef bones. Remove
- .Remove the excess of fat .
- Add up the drained tomatoes, beef broth,tomatoes juice, thyme, parsley and the bay leaf. Bring to a broil.
- Dilute the cornstarch with a few tablespoon of the hot juice and add it up to the sauce. Bring to a broil.
- Transfer the onions,carrots and the beef to the sauce .Season to taste with salt.
- Add up the bones and potatoes. Reheat.
- Cook covered in the oven at 300F. for 3 hours.
- Remove the excess of fat before serving.
- Note : If you don't like the idea of cornstarch use flour at the beginning and make a roux.
- The onions and carrots are sweet enough. No need to add up any sugar
- And yes use small round potatoes. It is better if you have to freeze the surplus of food and reheat.
- Don't use garlic in this recipe I tried it ...Too strong.
- You could add up turnips . I don't...
The Cookmikypiky Montreal, Que., CA
- Not added to any groups yet!