pear and duck confit saladFrom vino4dino 7 years ago
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard shopping list
- 1 tablespoon Sherry vinegar shopping list
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot shopping list
- 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 2 confit duck legs shopping list
- 3 firm-ripe Anjou or bartlett pears (preferably red) shopping list
- 8 cups mixed greens, such as frisée(French curly endive), tender watercress sprigs, and baby spinach leaves shopping list
- 2 oz crumbled Roquefort or other blue cheese (1/2 cup), optional shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Whisk together mustard, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Add 4 tablespoons oil in a slow stream, whisking until emulsified, then whisk in shallot.
- Heat remaining tablespoon oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook pecans, stirring, until golden brown. Transfer nuts with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, then season with salt.
- Heat skillet with any oil remaining in it over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown duck on all sides until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and tear meat into bite-size pieces and discard bones. Keep duck warm, covered, on a baking sheet in oven.
- Halve and core pears and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Add pears, greens, duck, cheese, and nuts to dressing with salt and pepper to taste, then toss gently to combine.