Chili Verde Green ChiliFrom yummypenny 6 years ago
- 2 lb. pork shoulder shopping list
- 2 T. pressed garlic (or finely minced) shopping list
- 1 - 2 t. lime juice shopping list
- 1 lb. tomatillos, chopped shopping list
- 2 - 7 oz. cans hot salsa verde shopping list
- 2 - 3 medium onions, chopped shopping list
- 2 qt. chicken stock shopping list
- 1 - 2 t. cumin shopping list
- 2 C. fresh peppers chopped* (see note below) shopping list
- 1 lb. romano tomatoes, seeded and chopped shopping list
- salt & pepper to taste shopping list
- flour tortillas shopping list
How to make it
- Cut pork shoulder into bite-sized pieces, brown in stockpot or large dutch oven in a small amount of oil.
- Add onions and garlic to pork and continue cooking until onions are slightly tender.
- Add chicken stock, cilantro, cumin, lime juice and chopped peppers simmer for one to two hours.
- Add in tomatillos, salsa verde, salt and pepper; simmer for a couple of hours.
- Add chopped romano tomatoes and continue simmering for about an hour.
- Taste chili frequently to adjust taste as needed.
- If a thicker chili is desired make a roux using some of the stock and cornstarch and stir into chili.
- Serve in bowls with warmed, buttered tortillas on the side.
- *Use a combination of jalapenos, anaheim and poblano peppers or your favorites
- Note: Adjust this recipe's spiciness and thickness according to your tastes.
- Green chili is excellent served over burritos with grated cheddar cheese and sour cream.