Spiked Apple GaletteFrom greekgirrrl 8 years ago
- For the crust: shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- 1 3/4 sticks (7 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces shopping list
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten shopping list
- 4 to 7 tablespoons ice water shopping list
- For the filling: shopping list
- 3 pounds gala apples, peeled, cored, and large dice shopping list
- 1 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- To assemble: shopping list
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces shopping list
- 1 tablespoon coarse sanding sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup calvados (or other apple brandy) shopping list
How to make it
- For the crust: Combine flour, sugar, salt, and butter in a medium bowl. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, mix butter into dry ingredients until it is in pea-size pieces, about 5 minutes.
- Add egg yolks and 4 tablespoons ice water and mix just until dough comes together. (Add an additional 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water if necessary, but do not overwork the dough or it will become tough.) Shape into a flat disk, cover in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Meanwhile, make the filling.
- For the filling: Combine apples, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and cinnamon in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring until sugar is dissolved and apple juices begin to release, about 4 minutes. Simmer until apples are tender on the outside, but still firm when a knife is inserted in the middle, about 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Remove from heat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer apples to a shallow dish to cool for at least 10 minutes. Set the pan with reserved juices aside for later use.
- To assemble: Once dough has chilled, place on a lightly floured surface and, using a floured rolling pin, roll into a 16-inch circle (about 1/4 inch thick). Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Loosely fold in edges of pastry as needed to fit on the baking sheet, transfer to the refrigerator, and chill at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 425°F and arrange the rack in middle.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and unfold any edges. Spread apples in center of pastry, leaving a 2-inch border.
- Fold edges of dough over filling, covering about 1 inch of the apples (the center will not be covered) and pleating dough every 2 inches as you go.
- Dot apples with butter, then brush pastry edge lightly with water and sprinkle with coarse sanding sugar. Bake galette until pastry is golden and apples are tender, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- While galette is baking, return the frying pan with apple juices to medium heat and reduce to 1/4 cup, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in Calvados, and set aside.
- Transfer baked galette to a rack and pour Calvados mixture over apples. Serve warm with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.