Meyer Lemon Cake With Lavender CreamFrom fireraven 5 years ago
- For Cake: shopping list
- 2 tbs unsalted butter, melted, for brushing pan shopping list
- 5 large eggs, separated shopping list
- 3/4 c sugar, divided shopping list
- 3/4 c extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 tbs grated Meyer lemon zest, plus 3 tbs juice (can use regular lemon if a meyer isn't avaible) shopping list
- 1 c cake flour (not self rising) shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- For Filling: shopping list
- 1/2 c plus 1 tbs sugar shopping list
- 3 tbs flour shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 tsp grated Meyer lemon zest plus 3/4 c juice (again can use regular lemon) shopping list
- 1 large egg yolk shopping list
- 1 tbs unsalted butter shopping list
- For Lavendar Cream: shopping list
- 1 1/2 heavy cream shopping list
- 3 tbs mild honey shopping list
- 1/2 tbs dried lavendar blossoms shopping list
- Garnish: shopping list
- confectioners sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Make cake:
- Preheat oven to 325 f
- Invert bottom of a springform pan and lock on side. Brush pan with melted butter, then chill 2 mins to set. Line bottom of pan with a round of parchment paper, then brush pan and parchment with another layer of melted butter and chill 2 mins more. Dust with flour, knocking out excess.
- Beat together yolks and 1/2 c sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until pale and thick, about 3 mins. At med speed, beat in oil and lemon zest and juice until just combined. Sift in flour and mix at low speed until just combined.
- Beat whites with salt in another large bowl with cleaned beaters at med-high speed until foamy, then add remaining 1/4 cup sugar a little at a time, beating and continue to beat until whites just hold soft peaks. Gently fold one third of whites into yolk mixture to lighten, then fold in remaining whites gently but throughly. Transfer batter to springform pan, smoothing top, and gently rap against counter once or twice to eliminate air bubbles. Bake until golden brown (top with crack slightly) and a wooden toothpick comes out clean. 40 to 50 mins. Cool in pan on a rack for 10 mins, then remove side of pan and cool cake to room temp. About 1 hour, sides will cave in a little.
- Make Filling while cake cools:
- Whisk together sugar, flour and salt in a small heavy sauce pan, then add lemon juice in a slow stream, whisking until combined. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, then simmer, whisking, until thickened, about 3 mins. Remove from heat.
- Whisk yolk in small bowl, then add about one fourth of lemon-juice mixture whisking virgiously (tempering the yolk) Whisk into remaining lemon juice mixture and gently boil, whisking 1 min. Remove from heat and stir in butter and zest. Transfer filling to a bowl and cover surface with buttered parchment paper. Chill until cool, at least 30 mins.
- Lavender Cream:
- Bring cream, honey and lavender blozzoms just to a boil in a small saucepan, then remove from heat and let steep, covered, 30 mins. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, discarding solids and chill lavender cream, covered until cold.
- Assemble Cake:
- Invert cake and discard parchment. Cut cake horizontally into 3 even layers with a long serrated knife. Transfer 1 layer, cut side up to a cake plate. Lightly whisk filling to loosen, then spread half of filling evenly over cake layer on plate leaving 1/2 in border around edge. Place a second cake layer over filling in same manner. Top with remaining filling in same manner. Top with remaining cake layer, cut side down, pressing gently so that filling is spread to edge of cake.
- Just before serving beat lavender cream with a whisk until it is thickened and barely holds soft peaks. Dust cake with confectioners sugar and serve with lavender cream.
The Cookfireraven Genesee, PA
- Not added to any groups yet!