Apple Custard PieFrom sunny 9 years ago
- Crust: shopping list
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour, sifted shopping list
- ¼ cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon shopping list
- 2/3 cups butter shopping list
- ¼ cup water shopping list
- Filling: shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1 ½ cup sour cream shopping list
- 1 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract shopping list
- ½ teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2 ½ pounds macintosh apples (or Idaho equivalent, if no Macintosh available J ), pared, quartered, cored and sliced. shopping list
- Topping: shopping list
- ½ cup butter, room temperature shopping list
- ½ cup all purpose flour shopping list
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed shopping list
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon shopping list
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Crust: In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar & cinnamon. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture has the consistency of coarse meal. Sprinkle in just enough water to moisten dough. May add additional water if necessary to form ball.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a 12 – inch diameter. Fit into a 10-inch pie plate. Fold under overhanging pastry flush with rim. Flute to make a stand-up edge. Chill until ready to fill.
- Filling: In a large bowl, beat egg slightly. Stir in sour cream, sugar, flour, vanilla and salt until mixture is smooth. Add sliced apples, stirring gently just to coat apples. Smooth filling into shell. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, lower heat to 350 degrees and bake 35 minutes longer. While pie bakes, prepare topping.
- Topping: In a small bowl, combine butter, flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and walnuts and blend well.
- Remove pie from oven and sprinkle topping evenly over filling. Return to oven. Bake for 15 minutes longer or until topping is lightly browned. Cool pie on wire rack.