chocolate and spiced apple strudelFrom barmy 6 years ago
- 6 sheets of filo pastry shopping list
- 50g or 2oz unsalted butter, melted shopping list
- icing sugar for dusting shopping list
- 1kg or 2lb cooking apples shopping list
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice shopping list
- 50g or 2oz unsalted butter shopping list
- 50g or 2oz breadcrumbs shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice shopping list
- 50g or 2oz demerara sugar shopping list
- 50g or 2 oz sultanas shopping list
- 50g or 2oz walnut pieces shopping list
- 125g or 4oz plain dark chocolate, chopped shopping list
How to make it
- lightly grease a large baking sheet with slightly rasied sides. To make the filling, peel, core and slice the apples and put them in a bowl of water with the lemon jiuce to avoid discolouration.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the breadcrumbs for about 3 minutes until golden. Drain the apples and add to the pan with the mixed spice, sultanas, walnut, sugar and chocolate,
- Lay 1 sheet of filo pastry on a work surface and brush with a little of the melted butter. Cover with another sheet and brush with more butter. Add a third sheet and spoon half the filling over the pastry to within 2.5cm or 1 inch of the edges. Fold the two short ends over the filling, then roll up the pastry like a Swiss Roll starting from a long edge. Transfer to the baking sheet with the join underneath.
- Use the remaining filling, pastry and butter to make a second strudel in the same way. Bake in a preheated oven, 190C (375F), Gas Mark 5, for about 30mins until golden. Cool slightly, dust with icing sugar and serve sliced with cream, icecream or custard.
The Cookbarmy Bolton, GB
- Not added to any groups yet!