Leg of Lamb with Apple-Mint ChutneyFrom silverqueen 7 years ago
- FOR THE LAMB: shopping list
- 5 Tbsp. olive oil shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. finely grated lemon zest shopping list
- Juice of 1 lemon shopping list
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed shopping list
- 2-1/2 tsp. kosher salt shopping list
- 1 tsp. mustard powder shopping list
- 3/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 3/4 tsp. celery seed shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. allspice shopping list
- 1 6 to 7 lb. leg of lamb, trimmed shopping list
- 2 large fennel bulbs, each cut into 6 wedges shopping list
- 2 lemons, halved crosswise shopping list
- FOR THE APPLE-mint CHUTNEY: shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 small red onion, sliced shopping list
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and finely diced shopping list
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup golden raisins shopping list
- 3 Tbsp. apple-cider vinegar shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- Pinch ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint shopping list
How to make it
- MAKE LAMB:
- In a small bowl combine 3 Tbsp. oil, the zest , juice and garlic. In another bowl combine 2 Tbsp. salt, the mustard powder, pepper, celery seed, nutmeg and allspice.
- Preheat the oven to 375*F.
- Place one rack in center and one rack on lowest level. Rinse lamb and pat dry.
- Place, fat side up in a large roasting pan.
- Using a sharp knife, make 15 to 20 slits around the lamb.
- Generously rub lemon mixture over entire surface of lamb.
- Follow with the spice mixture, pushing into slits.
- roast lamb in the center of oven until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part (without touching the bone) reads 130*F. for medium rare, about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile on a rimmed baking sheet, toss together fennel, lemons, remaining 2 Tbsp. oil and 1/2 tsp. salt.
- After 1 hour of roasting lamb, place fennel and lemons on sheet on lower rack. Roast turning once until fennel is tender and golden, about 40 minutes.
- Loosely tent lamb with foil, let stand 15 minutes before carving.
- Transfer to a platter, arrange fennel and lemons around the lamb.
- MAKE CHUTNEY:
- Meanwhile in a medium sauce pan, melt butter over median high heat.
- Add onion and cook stirring until softened about 4 minutes. Stir in apples, sugar, raisins, vinegar, salt, nutmeg and 1/3 cup water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and apples are tender and mixture has thickened slightly, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in mint..
- Serve with lamb.
The Cooksilverqueen Albany, GA
The Rating3 people
- Not added to any groups yet!