Citrus Spice Short RibsFrom sheba 9 years ago
- Adjust the liquid and seasonings to the amount of ribs you are using. I usually halve the recipe ie 2 lbs for two of us and 1/2 the ingredients because we like lots of sauce shopping list
- 5 -10 lbs Short ribs, or many as needed to feed your family shopping list
- 2 cups beef broth shopping list
- 2 cups fresh orange juice from about 4 oranges shopping list
- 1 - 28 oz can whole tomatoes shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 4 whole star anise shopping list
- 6 whole cloves shopping list
- 1 cinnamon stick, I substitute 1 tsp ground cinnamon shopping list
- 3 whole sprigs thyme, I use 1 tsp dried shopping list
- olive oil for searing ribs shopping list
- salt & pepper to taste shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- cumin to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in a large stock pot. Add ribs that have been salted and peppered. Brown ribs well on all sides. Remove ribs from the pot onto a plate. Add remaining ingredients to the pot and bring up to a simmer. Add short ribs back to pot.
- Cover and place in 300-350 degree oven and braise 4-6 hours or until the meat is very tender.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool and then refrigerate overnight so that fat can be removed. Return covered pot to a 350 degree oven fro about 1 hour or until heat through. Remove short ribs from pot, let stand covered to keep war. Strain sauce into a saucepan and reduce sauce over high heat until thickened.
- Serve over ribs.