Ratatouille With Eggs And CheeseFrom waterlily 5 years ago
- 1 small eggplant, trimmed, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces shopping list
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces shopping list
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces shopping list
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- Freshly ground pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes with juice shopping list
- 2 tablespoons torn fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish shopping list
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley shopping list
- 4 large eggs shopping list
- 4 ounces part-skim mozzarella, thinly sliced and cut into 1/4-inch strips shopping list
- 4 1/2-inch-thick slices Italian bread, preferably whole-wheat shopping list
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a large baking sheet or jelly roll pan with cooking spray. (I use olive oil in a self-pumping spray bottle)
- Combine eggplant, onion, zucchini, bell pepper and garlic in a large bowl; drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil; toss to coat. Spread the vegetables on the prepared baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the vegetables, uncovered, turning often, until lightly browned and tender, about 45 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Cut tomatoes into chunks. Stir the tomatoes (and their juices), basil and parsley into the vegetables. Cover with foil.
- Bake until the ratatouille is hot and bubbling, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven. With a large spoon, make four evenly spaced indentations in the hot ratatouille. Carefully break an egg into each indentation. Sprinkle cheese over the vegetables and eggs. Bake, uncovered, until the eggs are set and the cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the eggs are baking, toast bread and drizzle each slice with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil. Divide bread slices among 4 plates or shallow soup bowls.
- To serve, lift an egg and ratatouille from the baking dish and place on top of a slice of toasted bread. Spoon the remaining vegetables and juices around the edges, distributing evenly. Garnish with more basil, if desired.
The Cookwaterlily Joplin, MO
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!