Spicy red lentil soup with cumin and tomatoFrom birgitta 7 years ago
- 1 knob of butter shopping list
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving shopping list
- 1 large onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced shopping list
- ½ tsp coriander seeds shopping list
- ½ tsp cumin seeds shopping list
- 1 litre vegetable (or chicken) stock shopping list
- 300 g red lentils shopping list
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes shopping list
- salt and freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 1 medium bunch fresh coriander shopping list
- 250 ml natural yogurt shopping list
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground, to serve (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Put a medium saucepan on a medium heat. Add the butter and oil, then throw in the onion, garlic, coriander seeds and cumin seeds. Fry, without colouring, for five minutes.
- Add the stock and lentils, cover, bring to a low simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Purée the soup and season to taste.
- Roughly chop the coriander and stir it through the yogurt. Ladle the soup into four warmed bowls. Spoon a dollop of herby yogurt on to each serving, followed by a trickle of olive oil and, if you like, a pinch of freshly toasted, freshly ground cumin.
The Cookbirgitta London, GB
- Not added to any groups yet!