Crisp Watermelon PicklesFrom dottiet 8 years ago
- With the watermelon season all too brief, now’s the time to be foresighted and make these fine pickles for winter. shopping list
- 1 watermelon (5 1/2 lb rind) shopping list
- 4 tablespoons salt shopping list
- 3 tablespoons powdered alum shopping list
- 5 1/2 lb (11 cups) sugar shopping list
- 2 cups white vinegar shopping list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole cloves shopping list
- 6 blades mace shopping list
- 3 sticks cinnamon shopping list
How to make it
- Remove most of the pink fruit from watermelon rind; a little rim of pink makes your pickles prettier. Cut all outer green skin from rind.
- Cut rind in 2-inch chunks or triangles pictured. Weigh out 5 1/2 pounds or measure 4 quarts of rind, add salt and 4 quarts of cold water. Let stand in the kitchen overnight.
- Drain and rinse well. Add alum and 4 quarts water. Cook to a boil, reduce heat, simmer 30 minutes. Drain and rinse. Simmer in 4 more quarts water until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Water should cover rind, add more if needed. Add sugar and cook briskly until rind looks transparent. Takes about 45 minutes. Now add vinegar and cook 25 minutes more.
- Toss in all spices and cook 5 minutes only. Longer cooking darkens the syrup. Pack into 6 sterilized pint jars along with spices and syrup. Seal. Store 2 weeks before using.
The Cookdottiet Woodward, OK
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!