Fettuccine with Prawns and Baby Fennel in Pernod Cream SauceFrom mystic_river1 7 years ago
- What you'll need shopping list
- 14 oz wide fettuccine shopping list
- 21 fl oz fresh cream shopping list
- 20 whole green king prawns shopping list
- 2 medium brown onions (1/2 finely diced. 1 1/2 roughly chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped) shopping list
- 1 carrot (roughly chopped) shopping list
- 1 celery stalk (roughly chopped) shopping list
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese (grated) shopping list
- 1 bulb baby fennel (cleaned of fronds, halved and thinly sliced) shopping list
- 1 tbsp tomato paste shopping list
- extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- butter shopping list
- bay leaves shopping list
- peppercorns shopping list
- sea salt flakes shopping list
- black pepper corn mill shopping list
How to make it
- What to do
- For the Stock
- Peel & clean the prawns, keep the heads & shells (leave the tails on if you like).
- In a large pot sauté the chopped onion, carrot and celery in a little olive oil for 1 minute.
- Add the prawn shells and heads and sauté for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and (14 fl oz) of water.
- Add 3-4 bay leaves and 6-8 peppercorns and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, lower heat to a simmer and continue to simmer until reduced by just over half.
- For the Pasta
- In another pot boil enough salted water to cook the pasta in.
- Cook the pasta until al dente (check the package).
- Strain the pasta and cool with running water.
- For the Sauce
- In a large fry pan, melt 2 tbsps butter with 2 tbsps olive oil over medium heat.
- Sauté the diced onion, fennel and garlic until starting to turn translucent.
- Turn the heat to high and add 1/4 cup of Pernod.
- Burn the alcohol off the Pernod and reduce until the pan is only slightly wet.
- Remove from the heat.
- Place the contents of the pan along with the cream into a large pot and return to medium heat.
- Allow to simmer and thicken, approx 10 minutes
- Meanwhile once the prawn stock has reduced by half, strain it and discard the solids.
- Add no more than 7 fl oz)of the stock to the sauce and continue to reduce until thick (do not boil).
- Once sauce is thick enough to coat the pasta, reduce to low heat.
- Wipe the fry pan clean and melt 1 tbsp of butter with 1 tbsp of olive oil over high heat.
- Add the prawns and cook for approx 2 minutes or until pink.
- Splash with a few tbsps of Pernod, burn off the alcohol and add the contents to the sauce.
- Add parmesan cheese to sauce, stir and season to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
- Rinse pasta under hot water to warm up, shake off excess water and plunge pasta into sauce.
- Stir gently and serve.
- Garnish with excess fennel fronds if desired.
The Cookmystic_river1 Bradenton, Florida
The Rating4 people
Personal Chefs Network88 members
Grandma Junes Kitchen85 members
Just Love To Cook48 members
Pasta Place195 members
THE COMPLAINT DEPT158 members
Checkin Central283 members
Companys Coming115 members
Friends In The Kitchen314 members