MadeleinesFrom cakebrain 7 years ago
- 2 large eggs shopping list
- 1/3 cup (3 oz/90 g) granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/4 t salt shopping list
- 1/2 t vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/4 t almond extract [I used 1/2 t almond extract] shopping list
- 1/2 cup ( 2 1/2 oz/75 g) all-purpose flour, sifted shopping list
- 1 t grated orange zest [I omitted this] shopping list
- 1/4 cup )2 oz/60 g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled shopping list
How to make it
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven, and preheat to 375degrees F (190degrees C). Using a pastry brush, heavily brush room-temp. butter over each of the 12 molds in a madeleine pan, carefully buttering every ridge. Dust the molds with flour, tilting the pan to coat the surfaces evenly. Turn the pan upside down, tap it gently, and discard the excess flour. [I used baker's spray and did away with all of these steps! ;p ]
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, granulated sugar and salt. Beat on medium-high speed about 5 minutes. Beat in the vanilla and almond extracts. Sprinkle the sifted flour over the egg mixture and mix on low speed to incorporate.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the orange zest [I omitted this] and half of the melted butter just until blended. Fold in the remaining melted butter.
- Divide the batter among the 12 prepared molds, using a heaping tablespoon of batter for each mold. Bake the cookies until the top springs back when touched, 8-12 minutes [mine took 15-18 minutes].
- Remove the pan from the oven and invert it over a wire rack, then rap it on a rack to release the madeleines. If any should stick use your fingers to loosen the edges, being careful not to touch the hot pan, and invert and rap again.
- Let cool on the rack for 10 minutes. Using a fine-mesh sieve, dust the tops with confectioners' sugar and serve [I didn't need the confectioners' sugar...besides I couldn't wait to taste one]. Alternatively, cover with plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 3 days. Before serving, heat the cookies in a 250degreeF (120degree C) oven until warm, then dust with the confectioners' sugar.