creamy asparagus casseroleFrom sweetnrose 7 years ago
- 1 lb.asparagus shopping list
- 3 TBS butter shopping list
- 3 TBS flour shopping list
- 1 small onion finely minced shopping list
- 3 cups milk shopping list
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups swiss cheese shopping list
- 1/2 cup sour cream shopping list
- 2 hard boiled eggs shopping list
- 2 tsp. kosher salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. dried tarragon shopping list
- 6 saltine crackers shopping list
- parmesan cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Cut asparagus into 2-3 inch lengths and blanche.
- Saute onion in butter until transluscent.
- Add flour to make a rue. Cooking for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook until it starts thickening.
- Add cheese, salt, pepper, thyme and tarragon.
- If cheese sauce seems too thick add some more milk.
- If too thin, cook a bit longer.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
- Place asparagus in a greased 9 x 9 baking dish.
- Layer sliced eggs on top and pour cheese sauce over all.
- Cover with aluminum foil and place in a 375 degree oven.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and crumble crackers on top.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake additional 10 minutes or until top is browned a bit.
The Cooksweetnrose Ripon, WI
The Rating4 people
The Swiss cheese is a nice touch and the recipe has a nice balance. This could also be a very versatile base for lots of experimentation. High 5elgourmand in Apia loved it
yum and not hard two reasons to try this thanksmaywest in Tangerine loved it
My sister served this dish for Thanksgiving looking for something different and it was a hit. Great recipe thanks for posting and you have my 5kytigger in Louisville loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!