Beef BourguignonFrom celtic_queen33 8 years ago
- 1 Tbsp good olive oil shopping list
- 8 oz dry cured center cut applewood smoked bacon, diced shopping list
- 2 ½ lbs chuck beef cut into 1 inch cubes shopping list
- kosher salt shopping list
- Freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 lb carrots, sliced diagonally into 1 inch chunks shopping list
- 2 yellow onions, sliced shopping list
- 2 tsp chopped garlic shopping list
- ½ c cognac shopping list
- 1 (750 ml) bottle good dry red wine such as Pinot Noir shopping list
- 1 c (2 cups) beef broth shopping list
- 1 tbsp tomato paste shopping list
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves (1/2 tsp dried) shopping list
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature, divided shopping list
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 lb frozen whole onions shopping list
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thickly sliced shopping list
- For serving: shopping list
- bread or egg noodles shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Add the bacon and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is lightly browned. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to a large plate.
- Dry the beef cubes with paper towels and then sprinkle them with salt and pepper. In batches in single layers, sear the beef in the hot oil for 3 to 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove the seared cubes to the plate with the bacon and continue searing until all the beef is browned. Set aside.
- Toss the carrots and onions, 1 Tbsp of salt and 2 tsp of pepper in the fat in the pan and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minutes. Add the Cognac, stand back, and ignite with a match to burn off the alcohol. Put the meat and bacon back in to the pot with the juices. Add the bottle of wine plus enough beef broth to almost cover the meat. Add the tomato paste and thyme. Bring to a simmer, cover with the pot with a tight-fitting lid and place it in the oven for about 1 ¼ hours or until the meat and vegetables are very tender when pierced with a fork.
- Combine 2 tbsp butter and the flour with a fork and stir into the stew. Add the frozen onions. Saute the mushrooms in 2 tbsp of butter for 10 minutes until lightly browned and then add to the stew. Bring the stew to a boil on top of the stove, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Season to taste.
The Cookceltic_queen33 Woodhaven, MI
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!