A Better Pot RoastFrom chefmeow 7 years ago
- 5 pound brisket trimmed of all fat shopping list
- 4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1/4 cup corn oil shopping list
- 8 onions thickly sliced into rings shopping list
- 6 carrots peeled and cut into 1” chunks shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves minced shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 16 ounce can tomatoes with juice shopping list
- 1 cup dry red wine shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cover both sides of brisket with lots of pepper.
- Over a medium flame heat oil in a heavy casserole and brown brisket on all sides.
- Take brisket out of pan and set aside.
- Add onions to the casserole and cook over medium high heat.
- As you stir scrape up brown bits from bottom of casserole.
- Cook onions 15 minutes or until they are thoroughly browned.
- Add carrots, garlic and bay leaves then stir another 12 minutes.
- Take casserole off burner and carefully put brisket back into its nest of vegetables.
- Coat brisket on both sides with tomato paste.
- Sprinkle more pepper and a little salt over the tomato paste.
- Pour tomatoes and red wine into bottom of the casserole.
- Cover casserole tightly first with a layer of foil and then with lid.
- Let cook on middle rack of oven for 3 hours.
- Check the liquid level in casserole frequently.
- If it gets too low add a little water or beef broth.
- When meat is tender take it out of the oven.
- Keep meat covered while you cool it to room temperature then put in refrigerator overnight.
- The next day spoon off all the solidified fat you can and discard the bay leaves.
- Bring meat back to room temperature and reheat it along with its juices and vegetables in oven.
- When it's hot slice on the diagonal and serve with pan juices and vegetables spooned over.
The Cookchefmeow Garland, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!