Greek Octopus SaladFrom ivy 7 years ago
- 1 octopus fresh or frozen (about 1 kilo) shopping list
- ½ glass of white dry wine shopping list
- ½ glass of olive oil shopping list
- A few peppercorns shopping list
- 3 – 4 bay leaves shopping list
- 2 medium potatoes shopping list
- 2- 3 spring onions shopping list
- parsley shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- oregano (optional) shopping list
- lemon juice shopping list
How to make it
- For those who do not know how to clean an octopus, you may see instructions here.http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/ck_culinary_qa/article/0,1971,FOOD_9796_4044135,00.html
- However, I must tell you that this thing about the cork is $*&* to me as I have never used one and the octopus becomes very tender without it. Just follow the cleaning instructions. I keep the stomach sac and after removing everything from inside I wash it very well, then I turn it inside out again and remove the skin as well.
- Put the octopus with the sac in the sauce pan (do not cut it into pieces) and let it boil, lower heat and turn it on the other side as well.
- Place lid on pan and simmer for about half an hour or more (fresh octopus needs more time than the frozen one to tenderize). A pinkish to red liquid will sweat out of the octopus which, after half an hour or so, through away. Add the olive oil, the wine, bay leaves and peppercorns in the sauce pan (no salt) and when it begins boiling lower heat and simmer until the octopus becomes tender (about half an hour again).
- Meantime bake potatoes with skin either in the oven or cook in the microwave until soft. Sometimes I place them in the basket of the pressure cooker (again with skin) and steam them for about 15 minutes.
- When they can be handled, peel and cut them into small pieces. Finely chop the onions and parsley and mix with the potatoes. Add the sauce of the octopus which you have reserved and mix all together as well as extra olive oil, lemon, salt, pepper and oregano, at will.
The Cookivy Whereabouts, Unknown
- Not added to any groups yet!