Margarita PieFrom crabhappychick 8 years ago
- 1 cup fresh lime juice shopping list
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin shopping list
- 3 eggs, separated shopping list
- 10 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 6 tablespoons tequila shopping list
- 1 teaspoon lime zest shopping list
- pinch salt shopping list
- 3 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 4 drops green food coloring shopping list
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, chilled shopping list
- 1 cup pretzels, made into crumbs shopping list
- 1/2 cup butter, melted shopping list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup whipping cream shopping list
How to make it
- Place 1 tablespoon lime juice in small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over. Combine remaining lime juice, yolks, 10 T. sugar, tequila, lime zest and salt in heavy medium saucepan. Bring just to simmer over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add gelatin and stir until dissolved. Pour into medium bowl. Place bowl in larger bowl of ice water and cool until syrupy, stirring occasionally.
- Beat whites, 3 T. sugar and food coloring (if you want to use it - I don't) in another medium bowl until stiff, but not dry. Whip 1/2 cup cream in large bowl to soft peaks. Mix 1/4 of lime mixture into whipped cream to lighten. Gently fold in remaining lime mixture. Fold in egg whites. Pour into crust. Refrigerate until set at least 2 hours. Can be made 1 day ahead.
- Crust: (10-inch) Mix pretzel crumbs, butter & brown sugar in bowl & press into 10" pie plate.
- NOTE: To make this gluten-free, use Glutino gluten-free pretzels - absolutely NO difference in taste or texture!
- NOTE: My mom was known for her pies - and pie was her favorite dessert. She ONLY used 10" pie plates for a bigger, more impressive presentation. Who am I to argue with a pie expert?