Traditional Baked HamFrom sweetcuddle 7 years ago
How to make it
- Place ham on grid in the roasting pan with the skin side up. Push a roasting thermometer into the thickest part of the ham and make sure it does not touch the bone.
- 2. Place the ham in the oven. When the roasting thermometer reaches 170 °F (77°C) the meat is cooked. (45 - 55 minutes)
- 3. Remove from the oven and let it stand. Remove the skin and most of the underlying fat.
- 4. Mix together the ingredients for the coating and coat the ham. Return to a hot oven at
- 450 °F for ten minutes or until golden brown. Decorate the surface of the ham with cloves.
- NOTE: cooking meat at a lower temperature will result in less liquid being lost and a juicier ham - add more time if you choose to bake at a lower temp.
- Some chefs state the meat will be juicier if the ham is covered with a pastry crust. To do this prepare a pastry mix using about 2 cups rye flour and just enough water to make a dough. The pastry is then rolled out or patted over the surface of the ham to give a crust about 1/2 inch thick. Do not salt this pastry dough. If the ham happens to be too salty, the pastry crust will absorb the excess salt.
- Hint: The dripped meat juices can be used to make gravy. It will be salty however mixing in some apple sauce flavor with ground ginger and mustard makes an excellent ham gravy
The Cooksweetcuddle SAULT STE MARIE, CA
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!