Apple Cinnamoni EmpanadasFrom pattyp 9 years ago
- Pie Dough shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small cubes shopping list
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten shopping list
- 1 can of apple Filling (comstock brand is very good) shopping list
- 1 lg. beaten egg shopping list
How to make it
- Combine the flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix with paddle attachment on low. Add the butter and mix on low speed until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add the eggs and continue to stir on low speed until the dough begins to come together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and divide it in half. Knead each half into a smooth, round ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate dough at least for 1 hour.
- To prepare empanadas bring dough out from refrigerator, open can of apple filling and place in bowl. Mix in 1/4 tsp of cinnamon to the apple filling. Pre-heat oven to 400.
- Roll out dough on floured surface, cut out round circles (I use the same can in which the filing came in, wash out and dry) cut out as many rounds as possible. Then fill with apples, place another circle on top to cover, and press edges together with tines of fork. Place on grease cookie sheet. Before placing in oven, Brush empanadas with beaten egg and sprinkle them with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Poke the tops with fork to let venting occur. Bake 25 - 30 minutes or till golden brown.