Oriental Vegetable Sushi RollsFrom dariana 9 years ago
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 1/2 cup dry sherry or chicken broth shopping list
- 3/4 cup uncooked medium-grain white rice or sticky rice shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallots shopping list
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup) swiss cheese, shredded shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper shopping list
- 6 (4x7 1/2-inch) nori sheets shopping list
- 1 cup carrots, cucumber, spinach, yellow bell pepper, avocado and/or roasted red pepper, cut into small julienne pieces shopping list
- soy sauce or plum sauce shopping list
How to make it
- Combine water and sherry in 2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat (3 to 5 minutes). Reduce heat to medium-low; add rice. Cover; cook until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed (18 to 20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, melt butter in 8-inch skillet until sizzling; add shallots. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned (8 to 10 minutes). Add shallots to cooked rice; stir in cheese, salt and pepper.
- Place nori sheets, shiny-side down, on sheet of plastic food wrap; spread 1/3 cup rice mixture to 1 inch from one long side. Place julienne-cut vegetables along open long side.
- Dampen hands. Starting with the long side with vegetables, tightly roll nori over vegetables until two ends are overlapped. Wrap tightly in plastic food wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
- To serve, remove plastic wrap; cut each roll into 6 pieces. Serve with soy sauce or plum sauce.
- TIP: Nori is a sea vegetable that is chopped, rolled and dried. It is found in the Asian section of large supermarkets or at Asian food markets