Victoria Sponge CakeFrom juliecake 5 years ago
- Cake: shopping list
- 2 c cake flour shopping list
- 2 t baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 t salt shopping list
- zest from 1/2 lemon, coarsley chopped shopping list
- 1 c sugar shopping list
- 1 c unsalted butter, softened shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- 2 T warm milk shopping list
- 1/4 t vanilla shopping list
- Filling: shopping list
- 1 c strawberry jam (raspberry is wonderful as well) shopping list
- 1 c heavy cream, whipped shopping list
- Garnish: shopping list
- powdered sugar shopping list
- sliced strawberries (raspberries) optional shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter and flour 2 8x1 1/2 inch round cake pans. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside
- In a food processor or blender process or blend lemon zest and sugar until finely ground, about 1 minute. Pour into large mixing bowl. Add softened butter. Beat at med speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- In a bowl whisk eggs, milk and vanilla. Add to butter mixture 2 T at a time, beating well after each addition and adding 1 T flour mixture during the last 3 additions.
- Gradually beat in remaining flour mixture, beating until smooth and shiny. Pour into prepared cake pans. Smooth tops.
- Bake in preheated over for 25 to 30 minutes until top is golden brown and springs back when lightly touched in center. Cool in pans set on racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on racks.
- Invert one cooled cake layer on serving plate. Spread with jam, then half of the whipped cream, leaving a 1 inch border around edge of cake.
- Top with second layer, right side up. Sift powdered sugar over top of cake or top cake with remaining half of whipped cream.
- Cover and refrigerate cake until serving time. Garnish with fresh strawberries if desired.