Beer Battered Fish And Perfect ChipsFrom fergie 5 years ago
- 400g White fish (cod or pollack fillets, skinned and cut into bite-size chunks) shopping list
- sunflower or vegetable oil shopping list
- lime wedges, to serve shopping list
- FOR THE BATTER shopping list
- 200g plain flour shopping list
- caster sugar shopping list
- 330ml bottle full-bodied beer (any type) shopping list
- FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE shopping list
- 6 tbsp good-quality mayonnaise shopping list
- juice 1 lime shopping list
- handful coriander leaves, chopped shopping list
- 1kg potatoes (Maris Piper or King Edwards) shopping list
How to make it
- First make the sauce by mixing all the ingredients together, then set aside
- In a large bowl, make the batter by tipping the flour, sugar and some salt and pepper into a bowl, then gradually whisking in the beer until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or heat about 5cm of oil in a wok until a drop of batter sizzles and crisps up quickly
- Dredge a few chunks of fish in the batter, then deep-fry for 3-4 mins until golden
- Remove, using a slotted spoon, then drain on kitchen paper
- Repeat until all the fish is used
- Serve the fish with the sauce for dipping and lime wedges for squeezing over
- PERFECT CHIPS
- If you're looking for the perfect French-style chips, then try this (just arm yourself with a ruler...).
- Peel 1 kg potatoes (maris piper or King Edward are good)
- cut into chips 7mm thick. (Not 8mm that's too thick!)
- Wash the chips twice in cold water to reduce starch content.
- Drop the chips into vegetable oil heated to 130C until soft but not coloured (about 5 minutes). Drain and keep cool.
- Just before you are ready to eat, heat the oil to 200C and fry the chips until crisp and golden on the outside. Sprinkle with sea salt and serve within 3 minutes for maximum crispness.
The Cookfergie Sevenoaks, GB
The Rating4 people
The picture looks very tasty! I like everything about this recipe. Great post!bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it
Lovely recipe...what...no malt vinegar? Must have me vinegar! Thanks for sharing.juliecake in Bluffdale loved it
Perfect! Love crispy batter, never tried it with beer, but will now!
Alexalexdavies in Stafford loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!