Leche FlanFrom cherriepie 8 years ago
- caramel shopping list
- 1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water shopping list
- custard shopping list
- 12 egg yolks shopping list
- 1 cup (250ml) fresh milk shopping list
- one 400g can sweetened condensed milk of 1 1/2 cups (375ml) cream shopping list
- with 1/2 cup (50g) sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla extract shopping list
How to make it
- Make the caramel by boiling the brown sugar and water in a saucepan, stirring continuously over medium heat until the sugar is melted and turns golden brown. Pour the syrup into flan moulds or custard cups, or an 8in (20cm) diameter dish, tilting to make sure the whole surface is covered. Set the mould aside for a minute to allow the caramel to harden.
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Gently combine all the custard ingredients in a large bowl, preventing any bubbles or foam from forming. Strain gently into the caramel-lines moulds.
- Cover the moulds or baking dish with aluminium foil and place in a bain-marie. Bake in the oven for an hour or until the mixture is firm. Remove from the oven and chill. in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours before serving.
- To serve, run a spatula or knife along the edge of the mould to loosen the caramel. Turn out onto a serving platter and garnish with lime slices if desired.