Crunchy Shrimp Roll with Ginger SauceFrom grizzlybear 8 years ago
- 2 cups Japanese rice shopping list
- Sushi vinegar shopping list
- 8 large shrimps, peeled, cleaned, tail-on and pressed by hand to make them straight. shopping list
- salt shopping list
- flour shopping list
- 2 eggs, beaten shopping list
- panko (Japanese bread crumbs) shopping list
- 4 large sheets of nori cut 2/3 size shopping list
- black sesame seeds shopping list
- 1 avocado, cut in 8 strips shopping list
- 1/2 hot house cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into 4 long strips (the length of nori) shopping list
- wasabi paste shopping list
- ginger Sauce, recipe follows shopping list
- red pepper flakes, for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Cook the rice – 1 part rice to 2 parts water. This can be done in a rice cooker, steamer, or pot according to package directions. When rice is cooked, spread the rice on a large baking sheet and sprinkle with sushi vinegar. Mix well, but do not break the rice grains. Chill the rice to room temperature.
- Heat a deep fryer or a large pot halfway filled with oil to 360 degrees F.
- Season the shrimps with salt, dust them with flour, and roll them in eggs then in panko. Fry the breaded shrimps to golden brown. Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Place the nori on a cutting board, spread sushi rice on the back side (non glossy side), sprinkle black sesame seeds over rice. Place the rice side down on a bamboo mat that has been covered with plastic wrap. Place 2 shrimps, 2 strips of avocado, strip of cucumber and some wasabi on the center. Roll. (Good luck!) Cut the roll in to 8 pieces (this you need better than just good luck!).
- Pour Sesame Ginger sauce on serving plate, then place sushi over the sauce. Sprinkle the sauce with some crushed red pepper flakes.
- Sesame Ginger sauce:
- 2 golf ball-size ginger pieces, peeled and sliced
- 4 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons sushi vinegar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons water
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Add all the ingredients in a blender. Blend on high until all solids turn liquid.
The Cookgrizzlybear CA
The Rating3 people
This sounds fabulous!! Gotta give this a try very soon! Thanks........jjuliecake in Bluffdale loved it
Sounds interesting. I have not tried anything like this so this will be a new lesson for me.bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it
Outstanding recipe, Grizz....you're rocking my house today. I've printed out two recipes of yours already. Thank you.... ;-)lunasea in Orlando loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!