Crema CatalanaFrom c2max 6 years ago
- 6 egg yolks shopping list
- ¾ C sugar, plus 3 TB for sprinkling on top to make caramelized crust shopping list
- 2 ½ C skim milk (most recipes use whole milk – I try to save calories) shopping list
- 1 lemon, zest only, zest into strips shopping list
- 1 cinnamon stick shopping list
- 3 TB corn starch shopping list
- HARDWARE NEEDED: shopping list
- 1 medium bowl shopping list
- 1 small bowl shopping list
- vegetable peeler shopping list
- 2 qt saucepan shopping list
- Whisk shopping list
- Strainer shopping list
- 8 custard ramekins shopping list
How to make it
- - In a bowl, whip egg yolks and ¾ C sugar (Whisk or use hand beater) until blended.
- - Place 2 C milk in a saucepan. Using a vegetable peeler, pare zest off the lemon in large strips, working over the saucepan to catch the fine spraying of the lemon oil from the rind. Add the cinnamon stick to the milk mixture. Bring to a near boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and strain into the egg yolk/sugar mixture, whisking constantly!
- - In another bowl, dissolve cornstarch in ½ C of remaining milk. Stir into the egg yolk mixture. Return to low heat and stir constantly just until it bubbles and thickens, this shouldn’t take but a couple of minutes or so. Remove from the heat.
- - Divide among 8 ramekins (I pour mixture into 4c measuring dish w/spout to ensure even distribution). Let cool then cover & refrigerate for at least 2 hours to overnight.
- - When ready to serve, remove from fridge, sprinkle remaining sugar evenly over ramekins and torch until caramelized. (Alternately, you can use an oven broiler, broil about 4” from the heat until caramelized, about 2 minutes.
- Crema Catalana Dessert
- Nutrition Facts
- 8 Servings
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 180.0
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5 g
- Mono-unsaturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 155.2 mg
- Sodium 46.6 mg
- Potassium 141.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
The Cookc2max Naperville, IL
The Rating4 people
wow good thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Fantastic...thanks!juliecake in Bluffdale loved it
omg that looks terrific thank you so muchminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!