Barley CasseroleFrom auntybea 7 years ago
- 1 tbsp. butter shopping list
- 10 green onions, chopped shopping list
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2 each celery stalks and carrots, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups pearl or pot barley shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper shopping list
- 4 1/2 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley shopping list
- 3/4 cup pine nuts or slivered almonds shopping list
How to make it
- In a heavy ovenproof skillet, melt butter over medium heat; cook onions, garlic, celery and carrots for 3 minutes or until just softened. Stir in barley, salt and pepper until well coated, about 2 minutes. Pour in 2 1/2 cups of the chicken stock; cover and bake in 350 F oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven; stir in parsley and remaining stock; sprinkle with pine nuts. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender.