Party Size Sweet EmpanadasFrom midgelet 7 years ago
- 2 kilos of flour shopping list
- handful of baking powder shopping list
- one kilo of vegetable shortening shopping list
- The liquid is Coke ( cola ) , orange juice could also be used shopping list
- Filling of choice ( soft fresh fruit, marmalade, candy like Hersheys Kisses, M & M's, marachino cherries, even peanut butter - nutella is great too ) shopping list
How to make it
- Combine flour and baking powder, cut in shortening to make crumb like
- Gadually add liquid to the dough, mixing by hand to a kneadable consistency first in the bowl and then on the counter top, kneading to a pliable dough.
- Let dough rest on the counter 10 to 15 minutes
- Roll out very thin.
- Use a bottom of a floured glass as a cookie cutter. Cut out circles, reusing any remaing scraps of dough
- Fill center of each circle with a bit of fruit, marachino cherries, other candies, chocolate etc, and fold over edges to seal in a traditional empanada shape, sealing edges very tightly.
- Place on a greased and floured baking tray
- Bake in a moderate hot ( 350 to 375 ) oven until golden brown.
- Remove and place warm empanadas in a bowl of sugar and cinnamon to coat them well.
- Makes about 200 standard size
- Photo : recipe cut in half, filled with Nutella and coated in cinnamon and sugar