Roast Pork With Apples And PrunesFrom hayamaktoum 7 years ago
- 4½-5 lb boned loin of pork center cut shopping list
- 12 med size pitted prunes shopping list
- 1 large tart apple shopping list
- 1 tsp lemon juice shopping list
- salt & pepper shopping list
- 3 T butter shopping list
- 3 T oil shopping list
- 3/4 c dry white wine shopping list
- 3/4 c heavy cream shopping list
- 1 T red currant jelly shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place prunes into saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to boil, then remove from heat. Allow prunes to soak for 30 minutes, then drain.
- Slice the apple into 1 inch cubes. Add lemon juice and mix thoroughly to prevent discoloration.
- Mix prunes and apples together.
- Make a pocket in the roast by slicing a deep slit along one side, starting from within 1 inch of one end and slicing to within 1 inch of the other end.
- Stuff roast with prune-apple mix. Season roast with pepper. (no salt yet) Tie securely at 1 inch intervals so it will keep its shape during cooking.
- In an oven-proof, stovetop-safe casserole equipped with a cover, and just large enough to hold the roast, melt butter and oil. Brown roast on all sides, including ends, using 2 wooden spoons to turn it from time to time. Browning should take about 20 minutes.
- Using a bulb baster or large spoon, remove excess fat from pan, leaving juices.
- Pour white wine and cream over the roast. Cover, and roast 1.5 hours at 350, or until done per meat thermometer.
- Remove roast from oven. Remove roast to heated platter and cover while making sauce.
- Skim fat from pan juices. Bring to boil over high heat. Boil until reduced to 1 cup. Add jelly. Reduce heat and continue boiling, stirring, until smooth. Taste for seasoning. Pour into heated sauceboat.
- Carve roast carefully into 1 inch slices. Each slice will consist of a round of pork with apples and prunes in the center. Sprinkle lightly with salt just before serving. Pass sauce separately.
The Cookhayamaktoum New York, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!