Mushroom Leek And Brown Rice SoupFrom shawdowsmom 7 years ago
- 1 bunch leeks (about 1 pound or 3 large) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed shopping list
- 1 carrot, peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced shopping list
- 8-10 cups, beef, chicken, or vegetable stock shopping list
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme or 2 tablespoons fresh shopping list
- 3/4 cup brown rice (or 1/2 cup barley) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups good, dry, red wine (Cabernet or merlot is good) shopping list
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced ( white or baby ports) shopping list
How to make it
- Cut off root end of leeks and discard.
- Halve leeks lengthwise and thinly slice.
- Soak leek slices in several changes of water to rid of any sand.
- Heat oil over low flame in a heavy bottomed pot.
- Add leeks and garlic and cook, covered, until leeks have wilted, (about 20 minutes).
- Add remaining ingedients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, partially covered, for 3-4 hours.
- After 2 hours, check regularly and add liquid as necessary. Do not add too much or soup will lose the velvety texture it developes with the slow, long cooking!
- May add 1/4 cup corn, tomato, or spinach with mushrooms. I don't.
The Cookshawdowsmom Fennville, MI
The Rating4 people
this looks fantastic!jo_jo_ba in Oshawa loved it
Very nice post, pleased to see this, can't wait to try it.notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it