Creamed ChickenFrom wdsdy 7 years ago
- 1 (3- 3 1/2-pound) broiler-fryer shopping list
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen English peas shopping list
- 3 Tablespoons butter shopping list
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 3 cups milk shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper shopping list
- 1 (3-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained shopping list
- 1 (2-ounce) jar diced pimiento, drained shopping list
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted shopping list
- Commercial patty shells, baked shopping list
How to make it
- Place chicken in a Dutch oven, and cover with water; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until tender.
- Remove chicken from broth; let cool. (Reserve broth for another use.)
- Bone chicken; cut into bite-size pieces.
- Set aside.
- Cook peas according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Add next 5 ingredients; mix well.
- Stir in chicken and peas.
- Cook over low heat until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently.
- Transfer creamed chicken to a chafing dish.
- Serve over patty shells.