Grandma Nelles Orange Tea MuffinsFrom divaliscious 5 years ago
- Preheat oven 400 degrees - These will bake for 20-25 minutes shopping list
- 2 cups flour shopping list
- 3 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 cup shortening (4 tablespoons butter) shopping list
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 large egg shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pure orange or lemon extract (vanilla ok if you don't have the others) shopping list
- 1/2 cup whole milk (prefer whole vs. skim) shopping list
- 1/2 cup orange juice (with pulp is best)(go for broke as make fresh for that extra oh my factor) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind (avoid the pith, which is super bitter - the white stuff, only the skin of the orange) shopping list
- Hand mixer, electric mixer. shopping list
- You can do this by hand, as I have done with other muffins, but the extra fluffy factor is created in this case and recipe with using my mixmaster. shopping list
How to make it
- Grease muffin pans, this recipe will make between 12-15 muffins (the normal size muffin pans)
- Preheat that oven at 400 degrees if you haven't done so already.
- Sift flour, measure, add baking powder, salt and sift again. Set aside.
- If you are using pre-sifted flour, then measure once, add other dry ingredients and sift once with dry ingredients all together.
- Cream shortening, adding sugar slowly, mix until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and beat, then add milk, orange juice and extract and beat one minute.
- Slowly add dry ingredients (flour, etc.) just until the ingredients come together - Do not over beat! Literally takes maybe 2 minutes on slow with an electric mixer - ok to have some lumps - they will bake out, I promise.
- Fill greased muffin pans two-thirds full, sprinkle tops with a little sugar if you wish.
- Place on middle rack in preheated oven and allow to bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Enjoy! - Image is from simcooks.com but recipe is my Grandma Nelle's.