Basic White SauceFrom morninlite 8 years ago
How to make it
- Over low heat, melt butter and add flour. If you need a very white sauce, just cook until flour and butter are well incorporated, if you want a richer, nuttier flavor, cook until the desired depth of color is acheived.
- Slowly add milk and cook until thickened.
- Add salt and white pepper to taste, and you have a basic white sauce for scalloped dishes.
- As you add the milk:
- Add a bay leaf, and carmelized onions for a Bechamel sauce (Remove bay leave when thickened)
- Add 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese for Alfredo
- Temper and add 2 egg yolks, 1/4 c white vinegar, minced onion or shallots and a little terragon for Bearnaise sauce
- Temper and add 2 egg yolks, and lemon juice for Hollandaise