Mrs Chhabi Ramans CauliflowerFrom sola 7 years ago
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger,peeled shopping list
- 6 tbs. vegetable oil shopping list
- 1/8 tsp.asafetida shopping list
- 1/8 tsp.whole cumin seeds shopping list
- 1/4-1/2 tsp.cayenne shopping list
- 4 tsp.ground coriander seeds shopping list
- 1 tsp.ground tumeric shopping list
- 2lb head cauliflower,cut into 1 inch flowerets shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp.salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp.garam masala shopping list
- 1 tsp.amchoor,or 2 tsp. lemon juice shopping list
How to make it
- Cut the ginger,crosswise,into very thin slices.Stack several slices over each other at a time,cut them into very thin strips and cut the strips crosswise into minute dice.
- Heat oil in a very large frying pan,wok,or other wide utensil over medium high heat.When hot put in the asafetida and a second later the cumin seeds.As soon as cumin sedds start to sizzle add put in the ginger.Stir the ginger for a few seconds until it starts to brown.Now put in the cayenne,coriander and tumeric.Stir once.(I usually remove pan from burner if necessary,if it is too hot,to prevent burning-during ginger & spices;placing back on in a minute)Stir once and quickly put in cauliflower and salt.Stir for one minute.Add 4 tbs. water and cover the pan immediately.
- Turn heat to low and cook 5-10 minutes,or until cauliflower is just done.(I find it takes longer) Stir once or twice during this period.Add a tablespoon more water if it dries out.
- When the cauliflower is done,remove lid.If there is any liquid left,dry it off by turning up the heat a bit.Sprinkle amchoor and garam masala over the top and stir to mix.
- Note:I have made this without the asafetida,it is just as yummy.